Aloha!

Aloha!
A fabulous beach on Oahu, Hawaii. I wish I was there now...

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Reflection for week 6

For the last week, my attention has been completely focused on the technology purchase project and the web design project. At first both projects seemed daunting because I am not a licensed teacher with my own classroom. However, after I took sometime to reflect on both, I came to the conclusion that I need to “think outside the box.” For the technology purchase project, I decided to take the standpoint as if I were working fulltime at a museum. My idea is to assemble a “technology” art cart through which children would use a computer to create artwork with interactive arts software. For the web design project, I decided to create a website that would serve as an “electronic” artist portfolio for me. Areas I chose to highlight include about the artist, artist’s interests, and artwork galleries. So far, so good.

Admittedly, I am unknowledgeable of Web 2.0. I felt the Frencken, Jacobi, and Jager article helped me to understand Web 2.0 a little better in the sense that it has to do with encouraging educators and students to use technologies such as blogs, podcasts, interactive television, and wikis to facilitate interactive and collaborative learning environments. However, I did google Web 2.0 and learned from Wikipedia (www.wikipedia.org) that it does not necessarily mean there is going to be a new version of the WWW, but that it “refers to a perceived second generation of web-based communities…which aim to facilitate collaboration and sharing between users.”

My brief experience with e-learning technologies has included blogs, WebCT, and interactive television, although not on an international level. I can definitely see today’s students being drawn to using Web 2.0 technologies more often because they most likely have been exposed to them in one form or another since they can remember and thus may not feel apprehension towards them. However, I have concern for school districts and families who are unable to afford such technologies. What does lack of exposure to Web 2.0 mean to their learning? Is their education at a major disadvantage?

I can definitely see Web 2.0 fitting in a constructivist classroom because its purpose is to get students to interact and collaborate through the use of the technologies. However, I think educators need to put forth effort to create structured learning experiences for students because I see potential for them to stray with particular tasks they may find uninteresting. I believe set structures, boundaries, and outcomes are necessary when using Web 2.0 in a constructivist classroom.

No comments: