Aloha!

Aloha!
A fabulous beach on Oahu, Hawaii. I wish I was there now...

Monday, October 29, 2007

Reflection for week 8

At the current moment I am extremely upset with the Internet and Web 2.0 technologies because of a horrific tragedy that occurred last week to a student I worked with over the summer and early fall. She had answered a nanny ad posted on Craigslist.org for a family whom indicated on Facbook.com that they recently moved to the area. She and the “family” arranged a meeting location and time, which sadly lead to her death. What is currently known is that a 19-year-old man placed the ad and is now being held in police custody for her murder. Details of how she died have not yet been released.

I am disgusted and appalled that someone would use this technology to prey upon the trust and good-nature of people to commit such a senseless act of violence. It is interesting that while people look to technologies such as Craigslist.org and Facebook.com to add convenience, flexibility, and social connectedness to their lives, the truth of the matter is that people can be or not be who ever they want on these sites. I am not saying that people shouldn’t trust everyone and everything on the Internet; however, in another way I am. In general, people can never be overly cautious because their safety is what is at stake.

No comments: